Feb 17, 2010

The Interview

So I just got back from my interview in Montreal. It was...not what I expected. I went in expecting a war crimes tribunal (something some JETs have described their interviews as) and found the people to be super nice.
I kind of lucked out and before my interview the seats in the reception area were full so I had to sit outside. Out of earshot and eye line of the receptionists who I knew for a fact were spying on us. Later I actually watched them hand interviewers sheets they'd been writing on. So I got some time to chat with the people going at the same time as me without worry of being overheard.
Eventually we moved inside and continued our conversation but now it involved asking the receptionists (both ex-JETs) questions about their experiences. On that part I felt I did fairly well. I was leading the conversation for most of the time and asked questions about being a JET that I think (read: I hope) were intelligent and showed I'd been researching the position.
I watched as one by one the other interviewers were called in. Today was the last day of interviews in Montreal and as luck would have it I was the last one called. A half-hour after the time I was supposed to be interviewed. They apologized for the lateness and I told them I didn't mind.
So I'm then led into a tiny closet of a room which only has enough room for the interviewers 3 chairs a table between me and them and my chair. I shook hands and introduced myself. I was going to bow but there was no room and I would have fallen and smashed my face into the table. I'm that kind of klutz.
I was facing two Japanese people, both with fairly strong accents, and one woman I presumed was an ex-JET. They took turns asking me questions. I would write what I was asked but they had a sign saying you're not supposed to release information about the interview so I can't tell you. I will describe my mock lesson though if only to explain why I made the elephant noise during my interview.
I was asked to do a mock lesson for Junior High students as if I'd been left alone with the students. I was told I had carte blanche and that I needed to do a lesson on animals. They then told me that one of the interviewers was going to be a shy person who didn't like English and the other was going to be a disruptive student. Yay me. I started with a few rounds of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes to explain body parts. I then proceeded to do my best to explain describe an elephant. I chose elephant because it was the first animal I could remember the Japanese word for. Don't ask why elephant was what I remembered. So I started by explaining it has a long nose. Then I drew an elephant on my imaginary chalkboard. I continued saying elephants are big using a mix of Japanese and English. I then ended with the elephant noise. At which point my interviewers all started laughing and told me I could stop. Then they told me my interview was over.
It only took 15-20 minutes. Which is short. I have yet to decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. At least my elephant noise made an impression. I have a feeling I didn't make that great of an impression during the rest of it. Oh well. It's done now. I won't hear from them until the week of April 12th. Either way, they let you know, So fingers crossed, it'll be good news in April. Until then, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment