Apr 8, 2009

Belarus












So here's, and I'm sure Mom's saying "finally", my post of my adventures in Belarus.
I got off the plane and got through customs no problem. In fact the only problem that happened at the airport was me not being able to find mom immediately. We came in at different gates and I couldn't find the gate 4 of the arrivals. Luckily Rhona found me. Pat was not so lucky however. He got left behind at the airport.
We got to Chaussy and we had dinner at the orphanage. I was smart. I refused to do any of the many shots of vodka offered to me. There were a lot of toasts and it was fun. Afterwards me and mom went to Kaminka and I got to see Dziana and Veronique again and meet their mother Tanya and their cousin Angelina. Veronique has gotten huge. She's about 2 inches short of my height. I think she might be able to give Kylie a decent fight for the title of Queen Wookie.
The next day I got to see the Chaussy One school where all the boxes were. The mountains of boxes. We started organizing them. Man did my arms hurt the next day. It was kind of fun though. And afterwards the whole gym became like a maze. I kind of wish there's been some kids around to play hide and seek with. It would have been awesome!
That night we went to his cafe place for a bit. They finally got me to do a shot of vodka. Never again. I hate straight alcohol. Unless it's awesomely flavoured. Vodka is not. And I'm sad to say I got buzzed off that one shot. I am the hugest light-weight ever. Oh well. On the plus side, mom now has a picture of me doing my first shot of vodka. A proud moment for any mother to see.
One of coolest things we got to do was go see older Veronique and her 2 month old baby Kiera. Kiera is adorable! Also probably the most active baby I've ever seen. I don't think she stopped moving the entire time we were there. Mom got these adorable little slippers for her too. Ehee! So cute!
That night me, Veronique and Angelina went out for a wander around Kaminka. We had a lot of fun with my camera. They quite enjoyed being able to see the pictures as soon as I'd taken them. We took a lot of really random ones. I also met most of Veronique's friends. And I got to tease her about boys. It was a lot of fun. We also got into her school so Veronique showed me some of her classrooms. She got us in despite it being Sunday, 8pm and their blatantly being a security guard at the door. He didn't really seem to care though. I was impressed nonetheless.
The next morning I got to go on a delivery that was probably the most fun for me. We delivered boxes of toys, supplies and quilts to this daycare centre. There were only 3 students there. They had a lot of fun going through all the toys. The boy was very serious though. He smiled once when I gave him a candy. The 3 of them were adorable though. The older girl helped us sort through the toys. After we that we went into Mogilev and bought the daycare centre a new fridge since none of theirs really worked. I have never seen someone as happy as the woman who ran the daycare centre was. She did point out something that we found rather interesting. She was saying how she couldn't believe how people like us would just walk in somewhere and buy them a new fridge. We all had to wonder if perhaps we're strange for doing this.
That afternoon I got to meet 2 more cousins of Veronique and Dziana, Violetta and Valaria, as well as their Aunt Natasha. They had some of the longest braids I have ever seen. I'm also pretty sure they thought I was a little insane. So me, Veronique, Angelina, Violetta and Valaria went on a walk along with our fearless protector, Mishal. The dog. He followed us the whole time. He even waited outside when we went to their grandparents. We had a snowball fight, and then at their grandfather's, one of the younger two, I never really learned which one was which, played with my camera. She had a lot of fun taking pictures.
I have to say, Tanya is an amazing cook. Everything was delicious. And I think mom was happy because she actually got to witness me consuming vegetables. I was asked about it repeatedly. I am going to buy some more celery tomorrow and take lots of pictures of me eating it. Then send them to mom. That's what you get for bugging me about it Mom.
Now one story I have to tell is that of the banya. I had no idea what to expect. So me, mom and Tanya all strip right down and go into this sauna-like thing. Then I get to watch as Tanya whacks mom with birch leaves dipped in water. Mom seemed to enjoy it, I think because she was able to get warm. Then it was my turn to get whacked. Man those leaves are hot! I couldn't stay up there as long as mom as it was too hot. Afterwards we washed ourselves out of these bucket-bowl things. Tanya apparently believes me and mom are her children as she insisted on washing us herself. That was...unexpected. I'll admit to being a little surprised at first but I went along with it, no problem.
Oh and the one last thing that was...different about my visit. So on the way to the airport, Sasha, my driver, suddenly pulls over. I thought he was going for a smoke break. I was wrong. We got pulled over by a cop. I had no idea what was going on and for a little while got kind of worried. Especially since the whole thing took like half an hour. Everything turned out fine and we were on our way again. And the very first thing I did when I got back here to Korallen? I took a shower. I washed myself head to toe twice. Sadly, I still smelled like farm. But I got to see a baby bull. And his cuteness made up for any smell that lingered.
Anyway that's an account of my adventures in Belarus. I am back in Denmark and enjoying myself. I'll put up another post about what's been going on here in the next couple of days. Until then, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment