Feb 25, 2009

London















So I'm finally back in Denmark after the bus ordeal from hell. But I'll come to that later as it wasn't until I got to Spain that the ordeal began. Anyway I'm doing a post a city so that it's at least demi-organized. That and it's easier for people to read. No sense in forcing you people to wade through a post the size of short novel.
I got into London at night and went immediately to my hostel. At least I tried to. I got lost. 3 times. I spent over an hour wandering around the neighbourhood that my hostel was in. Fun fact, it may have been called Prince's Square but it was in no way a square. And half-way down several of the streets that made up the so-called square the name would change. Eventually I did find it. Since it was late all I did was buy some food to make for dinner and went to bed. I have pictures of the hostel. It was the middle of the three for niceness. While it was sketchy it wasn't too bad.
So I really only had one full day in London so I decided to actually be a tourist for once and hit up all the attractions. So the first place I went was Buckingham Palace. It was pretty cool. I couldn't go in as there was a an event of some sort going on. All these Man in dress uniforms and women with the big fancy hats kept showing up in cars and there were cops all over the place. So I only took some pictures from outside.
Since it was morning and after Buckingham Palace I was actually hungry I got back on the Tube and got off at a station that I though would be a shopping district so I could grab something to eat. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I end up near Big Ben. So I took some pictures and kept going since I was still hungry. Then I found the Parliament buildings. And then Westminster Abbey. At this point I just gave up on food and wandered around taking pictures of all the attractions. At one point I ended up behind a French school tour group which I found kind of funny.
Finished with that part of London I went off to find London Bridge. And yes I was singing London Bridge is falling down to myself during my search. I found it and the Tower of London. Also food. And since I'm cool, and I love it, I got fish and chips. Because, come on, I'm in England. So after lunch, it was around 12 at this point, I went into the Tower. It was the only tourist place I went in to. And man was it ever cool!
They had a special kids' program on while I was there, all about knights. So there were a bunch of kids running around completeing 'quests' which was adorable. As an added plus there were guards at the Tower so I finally got a proper picture of one.
I saw pretty much everything in the Tower, even the Crown Jewels despite the psychotically huge line. The knight that I took a picture of called my milady when I asked if I could. They also had guides dressed up as Yeomen. I didn't go on a tour though. I prefer looking at things at my own pace. It was near the end that I found the worst place for me. I found the place where you could dress up. So in a style reminiscent of the Viking Ship Museum I dressed up Tudor style. The best part was that my clothes matched the colours of the dress. Clearly I was meant to wear it.
So after I was done being all touristy I decided to wander around. Then I came up with the brilliant idea of finding Charles a Doctor Who toy. 3 hours. I spent 3 hours looking for one. I went to the 5-story toy store and they had no good ones. Well no good ones that would fit in my luggage. The Dalek voice changing helmet looked pretty cool. I even went to Harrod's. No luck. Though I did find a book for myself. I ended up buying 2 books in England and it was a good thing I did. I needed them during all my bus misadventures in Spain. I did eventually find some good Doctor Who toys in the airport on my way to Malaga. But they were way too expensive. I love Charles but I'm not spending 80$ on a toy for him. So I came back Doctor Who-less.
The first picture is a picture of the hostel room I was in. There were 6 of us in it. There was barely enough room to stand. That night I discovered something that's a lot of fun to do and I preceded to do in every hostel afterwards. Tell the other guests, most of whom are European, what winter's like in Canada. They are horrified and have great difficulty imagining that it can be like that. I always find their reactions hilarious. Mind you I was talking to a guy from Australia and he described their summer. Ergh. I couldn't take that kind of heat. So I guess it works both ways. Anyway that's an account of my London adventures. Either later tonight or tomorrow I'll post the section on Granada.
Oh, all the pictures of me in London and Barcelona, with the exception of the Tudor dress-up one, are for mom. Because she got upset after I came back from France the first time with no pictures of me in France. There you go mom. Pictures of me overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment